Friday 4 November 2016

‘you must’

Living and moving between worlds can be … interesting. It is full of challenges and joys, but rarely is it predictable. This was something I came up against while I was home in Australia for four months of furlough/home assignment and people would comment that ‘you must…’. I tried to be gracious about their comments, but how well I achieved that was closely tied to how tired I was.

The ‘you musts’ often were most often  a comment on the wealth of Australia and the very different lifestyle that is lead there. I do not begrudge others the opportunity to live by a different standard when they can. Yes, I did have points of being overwhelmed by choice or richness, but that does not in and of itself makes those things bad, just something I’d not had a lot of exposure to recently. Yes, I had times of longing that people in PNG had the same access to opportunities and resources that Australians have, but that does not mean Australians can’t have them.

Australia and life there is most certainly different to life in PNG, in either Ukarumpa or the village, but that does not make it bad. Neither does it make it right. It means it is something we always need to be willing to reassess and not take for granted. It also means taking stock of where our hearts are at in relation to our stuff.

 My village house, for which I am very thankful.
I found myself having to take stock of my heart-state when it came to houses. I am so thankful for my village house, where I have space and privacy. My water tanks, solar power, gas cooker and indoor toilet are greatly appreciated and give me an easier lifestyle than everyone around me.

When I leave the village though, and return to my home in Ukarumpa, I am so thankful for hot water, 240V power that run my fridge and washing machine, a flushing toilet, a soft couch, a comfortable bed and a lot less bugs in the house. I am truly happy with my village house, but appreciate the comforts of Ukarumpa when I return there.

Coming to Australia, I was reminded of how simple my Ukarumpa house is in comparison, that my couch is not really that soft and that my mattress could be improved. I had to stop and take stock, remind myself to be thankful for the incredible blessing of my two houses and not get caught up in comparisons that would only make me discontent.

 My Ukarumpa house, for which I am also very thankful.
Australia sure is different to PNG, but both are places that I love, even as I become more comfortable in PNG than in Australia. My home country is an old friend, whose quirks I know fairly well, and sometimes think of endearingly, and at other times with annoyance. It is an old friend who I differ with at times, but who I still love as she is, difference and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment