Friday 7 August 2015

Language Learning Techniques

At this stage in my translation project, my primary goal is language learning. I am blessed to step into a programme where others have gone before me. There are many simple books for teaching children literacy, a picture dictionary, the makings of a longer dictionary and some grammar notes. All of these are invaluable resources that help me to learn, but the bulk of my learning is through immersion. 
The river at Ubuo
There are techniques to help with language learning immersion which I learnt before coming to PNG. I admit to not knowing which teaching philosophies I have picked and chosen from,  I just do what works for me.

When I am in the village, I try to sit down with a local lady five days a week for some structured language learning time. I come prepared with my sketch of a lesson plan outlining the sorts of activities I would like to do and resources to help with this. My resources are generally hand drawn pictures, prompts that enable me to ask questions and elicit responses. Asking ‘How do you say…’ tends to get formulaic responses. Learning key phrases and then using them as I point at my pictures, elicits more natural responses.

As I advance with learning, the questions I can ask and the responses I get will become more complex. At the very beginning, I just had a series of noun pictures, and would get my language assistant to say the name of one and I would point at it. Not very complex, but good practice in hearing and responding. Slowly I added instructions such as ‘pick up’, ‘put down’ and ‘give’, progressing to ‘put in’, ‘put on’ or ‘put under’. As I collect vocabulary, I’ve been making flash cards for myself, to help with the memorisation of new words.
My village picture I use for eliciting words and phrases
In each language learning session I also record things that I have been learning. People get sick of saying the same thing over and over again. My voice recorder does not get bored of repeating itself, allowing me to learn more quickly. This also allows me to bring the recordings back to Ukarumpa with me, where I transcribe them and keep my learning going. As I listen to them in the Highlands, the backing vocals of roosters, children, hammers, kittens, dogs, the school bell and grumbly stomachs reminds me that these really are field recordings, not something polished.

As I progress with my learning, I have been both writing and recording stories. My story writing is very simple at the moment, but it forces me to put together the words and grammar I do know in new ways. I also learn new words when I hit a block in expressing myself and ask for help. When I record stories, I later in the day sit and attempt to transcribe them. In doing so, I am teaching myself to hear word breaks, recognise the changes required by grammar, and learning entirely new words and phrases.

Once a week, if rain or tide have not made the path impassable, I walk 15 minutes to the next village, Goiravi, to learn from the ladies there. Each time I’ve been to Goiravi, a crowd of 10 to 20 women has shown up to help. Learning from that many teachers is nearly impossible! I keep going though, as I have been getting to know a few of the ladies better and they’re great teachers. It is also a good relational exercise, as I make the village feel like they are part of the programme too. Most weeks I think the benefit of my trip is more relational than linguistic, but that is a valid reason to keep going.
Verandah view when language learning in Goiravi

Learning a language by immersion is plain old hard work. I end each day with a tired head of constant listening, decoding and confusion. As I try to communicate anew each day I keep telling myself that I only have to learn the language once and that this level of difficulty will pass. I just hope it passes sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment