Saturday 9 January 2016

Faithful Women

Sitting with the women in Goiravi (H.Schulz)
After the dedication of the Jesus Film, when I would go to Goiravi (next village) for my weekly language learning session, I also started doing a short Bible study using the film, the film script and an English Bible. We would watch a portion of the film on my tablet, read the equivalent portion of the Bible and then answer some study questions. I would also write out a section of the script to use as a memory verse.

With the studies, we began at the very beginning (it’s a very good place to start), meaning we began with the birth stories of John the Baptist and of Jesus. As we studied these stories, the theme of God choosing unexpected people in unexpected places for the fulfillment of his plan stood out to me. I’ve read these accounts dozens of times, but reading them with village women in an out-of-the-way place gave them new meaning. Being able to say to the women, that God cares about and uses women in places other people consider to be worthless, was an encouragement to both them and to me.

Time with women and children when the YWAM ship
visited and ran an immunisation clinic (Ella May)
I really do enjoy the moments where I can speak hope into the lives of people around me, especially the women. I had another opportunity in the village earlier in the year, to stand in front of the church and remind the congregation that women and men are both made in the image of God (Gen 1:26-27) and that God must value mothers if children are told to honour them. Jesus himself talks of gathering in the lost like a mother hen (Matthew 23:37, Luke 13:34). These may seem like small things, but to women who are used to being considered insignificant, they mean a lot.

The studies have been an encouragement, a challenge and a lesson to me. Although I use ‘easy English’ questions, they are often too hard for my audience. This is an obvious reminder to me about why I am working hard to learn the local language, and working with them to translate the Bible into it. I’ve also seen just how few women can read in any language, inspiring me both to do audio recording of the translations we will produce, and to think about adult literacy classes.
Learning to weave a pandanus mat with the
women (H.Schulz)

 The feedback from the women has been that they are learning a lot about God, while improving their English. I am happy with this outcome! It may seem odd for a worker in indigenous languages to be happy about English acquisition, but I recognise that while their language is critical in many fields, English gives them access to other things such as healthcare and further education.

So, each Christmas, as you hear the familiar Christmas story, spare a thought for faithful women in out-of-the-way places. Remember that before God we are all equally loved as children. Shepherds and wise men both came to worship the Christ-child, for earthly criteria of worth have no place at the manger.


A belated Happy Christmas to each of you. I had this written before Christmas, but enjoyed having a break too much to post it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment